Sunday, March 8, 2009

Not Your Average Joe

I did not see it coming. It didn’t happen overnight. It slowly, crept up on me. I have become a coffee snob. Not your run of the mill Starbucks®, Caribou Coffee® or Dunkin’ Donuts® enthusiast. I owe my snobbery to this:


For years, we had a basic six cup coffee maker that suited us, well apparently only me, just fine. Little did I know, my husband quietly desired something more. Five years ago he went in search for a one cup coffee maker. He wanted something on a small scale, that would deliver a “coffee house” cup of coffee. Suspicious, I asked, “What’s this about? What’s wrong with the coffee maker that we have?" He said he wanted a coffee maker that would brew one fresh cup of coffee at a time. He stated that yes, the first cup of coffee from the “six cupper,” was pretty good. By the time we got to the second cup, the coffee took on a funky, overheated, and oxidized taste. This usually resulted in dumping the rest of the coffee and starting a fresh pot.


After much research, he found the coffee maker that would deliver what he wanted. When he told me the price for a new model of this coffee machine, I said, “And this thing only makes ONE cup of coffee at a time?” For this price we could buy 30 very nice six cup coffee makers. This did not deter him. He did a little more homework and decided he would try to find a used model. Somehow, he was going to get his hands on one. To eBay® he went to search for his coffee machine dream. It wasn’t long before he joyously announced that he had found a used coffee machine for half the price of the new model and wanted to buy. He was so excited. I shook my head and said, “Fine.” Sure enough, he became the proud owner of a used Saeco Coffee Machine. He was in coffee aficionado heaven. Trying not to buy into this silly notion that single brews make better coffee and this outrageous purchase, I continued to drink coffee from the “six cupper,” for a good while. With much coaxing from my husband, I finally gave in and allowed him to brew a cup of coffee for me. This was the day that I became a coffee snob. This was the day that I tucked the “six cupper,” into the too high to reach kitchen cabinet and never used it again.

For many years, my favorite fresh ground has been Seattle’s Best, Cinnabon Coffee®. I begin each day with at least a cup of it before I get on to business. It’s comforting, cinnamon taste with a little half and half puts a smile on my face.


As I tell everyone, when I go to the grocery or open my kitchen pantry, I see everything there in a different light. Naturally when I decided to make a nice, exfoliating kitchen soap, I included my favorite Seattle’s Best, Cinnabon Coffee® as the exfoliant. Fresh ground coffee in a bar of soap is great for cutting grease and grime from your hands. It also makes an excellent deodorizer, eliminating kitchen smells, such as fish, onions and garlic. Ground coffee in soap also makes a great exfoliating bar in the bath or shower. Some users have stated that after using coffee in soap, they experienced temporarily tighter skin, leaving it looking younger.


Other coffee lover products in our line, Café Mocha Sugar Scrubs, which include fresh Seattle’s Best, Cinnabon Coffee® grounds. Our Trimasu Bubble Cake, and our Cappuccino Brulee soy candle, scented with Dark Coffee and Crème Brulee fragrances and a light dusting of instant coffee.

1 comment:

Baskets by Bonnie said...

Only one cup? I need at least 2 or 3!!!

Coffee grounds are great for removing odors from cars and furniture (make sure they are dry!).

Love your coffee scented candles!

Someone once recommended keeping a small jar of coffee beans on hand to sniff in between smelling different fragrances. Helps cleans the "pallet".

I love coffee!!!! (can you tell I'm on my 3rd cup?)